INDIAN HAIR OILING MASSAGE
My Trip to India certainly sparked an interest in hair oiling. I felt like I was in the Mecca of lush, dense heavy and thick hair. Every woman I asked seemed to hair oiling was at the core of their routine and a non negotiable. When I sat with my amazing Cousin-in-law who has super lush, thick and dense hair I found the same to be true of her hair care regimen. One of her hair care rules is a 30 minute scalp massage twice a week. In this blog, we will dive straight into the different types of hair oils that can be used for a hot oil massage as well as how you can infuse your own oil. Lastly, we will go through a step by step guide to a relaxing hair massage technique. Let’s dive right into it!
When it comes to hair oils, you’d want to avoid any oil that has any synthetic or mineral oil in it. This can overtime buildup creating a barrier where the rest of your products will not be absorbed appropriately.
Single oils such as Olive oil, Coconut oil etc are good options to use. However, I personally like to maximize the application process by putting a blend of oils together or by infusing oils.
A good example of an oil blend is the CP Fenugreek Elixir which contains coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, vitamin C and essential oils. It also has henna in powder form and fenugreek at the base infusing for the lifetime of the oil. All of these powerful ingredients have an immediate tingling effect on the scalp, stimulating hair growth. Another great alternative is the CP Golden One Hair Oil. This powerhouse contains carrot oil and castor oil as its base oils. Both of these ingredients as stand alones are super thickening and hydrating. In addition, it also contains Jojoba, Cedarwood (great for hair loss), Pumpkin Seed Oil (rich in zinc for hair loss) and essential oils. Both the CP Fenugreek Elixir and The Golden One Oil are great for hydrating the hair from root to ends.
Alternatively, one can infuse an oil using your oil and ayurvedic herb of choice. Here is a favourite infusion recipe on mine.
- ½ Cup of Melted Coconut Oil
- ½ Cup of Olive Oil
- 1 Heaped Tbsp of Fenugreek Powder
- 1 Heaped Tbsp of Amla Powder
- 10 Drops of essential oil of choice for example Garlic and Peppermint Hit. In this recipe, we will be using the CP Coffee and Orange Glow Essential Oil (It has DHT blocking capabilities and it assists scalp follicle stimulation and helps with shedding and hair loss)
- Using a double boiler or a pot, melt down Coconut oil on low heat.
- To that, add Olive oil as well as dry ingredients.
- Stir gently.
- Pass this mixture through a sieve cloth to remove any particles.
- To your infused oil, add 10 drops of the CP Coffee and Orange Glow.
How To Use
- To protect your clothing, place a towel over your shoulders.
- Apply oil on your scalp and massage with fingertips using a circular motion.
- Make an effort to cover every strand focusing especially at the ends.
- Aim to set aside a few minutes to ensure proper application.
Let us know how you get on if you give this recipe a try. What is your oiling routine?
I would love to hear your thoughts below.